Spectrophotometric Complex formation Study of Murexide with Nickel and Cobalt in Aqueous Solution
Keywords:Cobalt, Nickel, Murexide, Stability constant, Stoichiometry
In the present study, the formation constant and the stoichiometry of murexide complexes with Co (II) and Ni (II) have been determined spectrophotometrically in aqueous solution at 25oC. Two experimental parameters governed the complex formation, pH and time, have been investigated. The formation and stoichiometry constants have been determined by two methods: Job's and mole ratio's methods. The absorption maxima for Co-murexide and Ni-murexide complexes were: 480, 460 nm, respectively. The two Spectrophotometric methods confirm the formation of 2:1 (M:L) complexes with stability arrange of: Co > Ni. The formation constants (Kf) determined by the Job's method were as follows: 2.06x1014 and 1.21x1011 for Co-murexide and Ni-murexide, respectively. Also, using mole ratio's method, the formation constants were found to be: 9.18x1011 and 6.01x1011. Molar absorptivity values of the studied complexes have also been determined (by Job's and mole ratio's methods) and the average values were: 18235 and 13284 l/mol.cm for Co and Ni, respectively.
2) Kohn R. Spectrophotometric Determination of Magnesium, Calcium, Strontium and Barium Present in Pairs by Use of Tetramethylmurexide. Chem. zvesti 23, 721-735 (1969)
3) Fathi MR and Shamsipur M. Spectrophotometric Study Of Zinc, Cadmium And Lead Complexes With Murexide In Binary Ethanol-Water Mixtures. Spectrosc. Lett., 26(9), 1797-1804 (1993). doi:10.1080/00387019308010777
4) Masoud MS, Kassem TS, Shaker MA, and Ali AE. Studies On Transition Metal Murexide Complexes. J. Therm. Anal. Calorim, 84 (3) 549–555 (2006). doi:10.1007/s10973-005-9991-3
5) Ibrahim MB and Moyosore A. Spectrophotometric Study of Stability Constants of Co(II), Ni(II) and Cu(II) Complexes of 2, 2 – Bipyridine at Different Temperatures. ChemSear. J., 5(1) 51 – 55 (2014)
6) Elsherif KM, Zubi A, Najar A, Bazina E. Complexation of 1,4-bis (3-(2-pyridyl) pyrazol-1-ylmethyl) benzene (1,4-PPB) with Cu (II), Co (II), and Ni (II): Spectrophotometric Studies in Mixed Solvent (EtOH-H2O). to Chem. J., 1(2) 214-223 (2018)
7) Na’aliya J and Aliyu HN. Stability Constant Of The Trisglycinato Metal Complexes. Bayero J. Pure Appl. Sci., 3(2) 52 – 55 (2010). doi:10.4314/bajopas.v3i2.63220
8) El-Dali A, El-Hashani A, Elsherif KM, Alsherkcy S. A Study Of The Binding Of Anionic Mordant Red7 In Two Different Cationic Solutions Using Absorption Spectroscopy. Int. J. Chem. Mater. Res., 3(6) 112-120 (2015). doi: 10.18488/journal.64/2015.3.6/188.8.131.52
9) Reza ES. Synthesis and Determination of Stability Constants of Bis – 1,2,4 – triazole Ligand for Complexation with Zn (II), Ni (II)and Cu (II) in Acetonitrile Medium. Am. J. Anal. Chem., 3(6) 437–442 (2012). doi: 10.4236/ajac.2012.36057
10) Elsherif KM, El-Hashani A, El-Dali A, Dakhil O, Najar A, And Algeriani M. Absorption Spectral Studies on Naphthyl Pyridyl Pyrazole (NPP) in Mixed Solvent Systems. Chem. Sci. Trans., 3(3) 1221-1227 (2014). doi:10.7598/cst2014.853
10) Ahmadi F, Sarrafi AHM, and Ghashghaee MM. Spectrophotometric Evaluation of Stability Constants of Copper, Cobalt, Nickel and Zinc with 2-Thiobarbituric Acid in Aqueous Solution. E-J. Chem., 6(S1), S47- S52 (2009).
11) Elsherif KM, Zubi A, Najar A, and Bazina E. UV-VIS Absorption Spectral Studies of Complexationof 1,3-bis (3-(2-pyridyl) pyrazol-1-ylmethyl) benzene (1,3-PPB) with Cu (II), Co(II), Ni (II) in EtOH-H2O Mixed Solvent, Special Issue for The 2nd Annual Conference on Theories and Applications of Basic and Biosciences September, 1st, 730-738 (2018)
12) Elsherif KM, Zubi A, Shawish HB, Abajja SA, and Almelah EBM. Complex Formation of Bis(salicylidene)ethylenediamine (Salen type ligand) with Cupper(II) Ions in Different Solvents: Spectrophotometric and Conductometric Study. Int. J. New. Chem., 7 (1) 1-13 (2020). doi: 10.22034/IJNC.2020.116394.1062
13) Job P. Formation and Stability of Inorganic Complexes in Solution. Ann. Chim., 9 113-203 (1928)
14) Yoe J H and Jones AL. Colorimetric Determination of Iron with Disodium-1,2-dihydroxybenzene-3,5-disulfonate. Ind. Eng. Chem. Anal. Ed., 16(2) 111-115 (1944). doi:10.1021/i560126a015
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2020 Khaled Muftah Elsherif, Fatima Nabber, Abdunaser Mabrok Ewlad-Ahmed, Noor el Huda M
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.